Customer Premise Equipment Used by ACD, Limitations and Supported Configurations
To Support our networks, ACD uses a variety of pieces of equipment. ACD is far superior to other providers in that we monitor 100% of our network equipment, including equipment at your site. Thus we often know that equipment is having problems far before customers experience those problems. Each customer is different and needs different types of equipment to support their connectivity.
Managed Firewall Service
ACD provides firewall service to customers. Customers are charged a set monthly fee for firewalling, and a configuration change fee that is one time per configuration change or debugging process.
Limitation of Liability - ACD accepts no risk for misconfiguration or operation of a customers internal network. We are only providing service as support service to customers own internal security.
Switches vs. Routers vs. Switch/Routers
Switches - do not perform any firewalling, Network Address Translation, or Security. It is not preferred that we deploy switches, however in some situations we deploy these due to customer requirements or certain network topologies.
Routers - do perform routing, firewalling, Network Address Transation, and Security, however they do not perform any switching, thus in many simpler failover situations there are advantages to putting in switches.
Switch/Routers - These are devices that have facilities to perform both switching and routing, thus offer the greatest flexability but often at greater cost and complexity of configuration.
Equipment Used for Deployment
Residential Deployment Routers for fiber-optic service
- Ubiquiti ER-X
- Zhone (no longer in primary production deployment as of 07/17/19)
Business Deployment Routers or Switches
ACD sales may charge different costs for the utilization of this equipment.
- Ubiquiti ER-X Router - 1gb interface: Generally small / Medium Business, office sizes of 50 computers with moderate firewalling and flitering needs.
- Ubiquiti EdgeRouter12 Switch/Router - 1gb interface: Generally Medium sized businesses, midsized entities that have 50+ computers, and/or need more powerfull firewalling and filtering needs.
- Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES‑16‑XG Switch - 10gb interface: Does not support any routing on this. It is a switch platform only. This will generally not be deployed.
- Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Infinity - ER‑8‑XG Router - 8 port 10gb interfaces. Customers that cannot make space or power available for the Cisco 6504E can use these devices but it is preferred that customer use Cisco 6504E Sup2T platform due to software maturity.
- Cisco 6504E - Supervisor 2T Core Switch/Router Generally large businesses, institutions, and educational markets, or where locations where security is not in a good condition at the customer premise. Where Denial of Service attacks are more likely to occur due to transient users like students, the general public, or governmental or institutional customers or inattention to security. Can handle a broad spectrum of service scenarios. These systems are 5 Rack Units in height and require adequate power, and have dual power supplies and redundant CPU's available. For NAT service to service hundreds of users these systems are the primary system that ACD will support.
Outside Plant Deployment
- Ubiquiti Edgeswitch 8 - 150 Watt - ES-8-150W - Switch This is a tempurature hardend switch when on -48vdc power. This switch can be deployed to customers sites where there is not a good temperature control. They can operate off of AC or DC power
- AirCube - Used for residential and small or medium business WiFi. WiFi 5 (802.11ac) compatible.